Archive for May, 2014

Picnic Blanket


With summer coming up I really wanted to have a nice picnic blanket. Something that was easy to nap on in the sun. I have a small 4 square quilt top in my stash that I finished last year. I had a large piece of calico that has been sitting in my stash for years. So I decided that the two would be the perfect picnic blanket. I had a great coupon and got the batting super cheap. I think the total cost of the project was $10. I quilted it on my normal sewing machine as it wasn’t that big. I’m really happy with it. I cuddled up with the quilt last night on the couch.


Read Full Post »

Theatrical Stays

Blue Rose Stays

For the Victorian Festival I needed a pair of stays for the event. I do have a historic pair of stays in the works but I knew I wouldn’t have time to finish them. So I went with a set of theatrical stays. I used fabric from my stash. It is a white cotton with blue print roses. It is made with plastic boning and a paint stick for support. I actually really like these stays. They are super comfortable and still gave me the proper shape. I wore them for hours at a time and never was uncomfortable. They are made from the Laughing Moon Pattern #115.

Read Full Post »

So last month I was doing quite a bit of stress sewing. First there was the Victorian Festival I needed to make clothes for and then an Elizabethan reenactment just a few weeks after. I made lots of new things for the Elizabethan event. I made a green kirtle out of linen. It is a back lacing gown and I corded the bodice for support. The sleeves are detachable. In the first picture you can see it with a white partlet that I made as well.

bible reading

To go with my outfit I made a pink linen jacket. I love this jacket. It is super comfortable to wear. I think it would be even more comfortable if you just wore it with a skirt and not a full kirtle. The next outfit I made for the event was a whole set of clothes for my boyfriend. I made him new Venetian breeches in blue hemp canvas. That stuff seems indestructible. Then I made a blue linen doublet with tie on sleeves. This is his first doublet in years of reenacting. I have more in the work basket.


Read Full Post »