Archive for the ‘Costume’ Category


American Duchess shoes has new shoes for pre-order. I’m super excited for these. I think I want a pair for myself. Woohoo!!!



Read Full Post »


The banner flying over camp.


My new Elizabethan gown. It is based off of Northern Italian style dresses. It is super comfy and I got lots of compliments. The fabric is a small pin stripe.


A masked man and his lady.


A side view of the new dress.


The sword.


A bunch of hooligans.


Taking the Queen by force.


Being Taken to Prison.


Fresh picked flowers.


First batch of spinning.


Wood fire bread oven.


Wooly sheep.


Read Full Post »

Theatrical Stays

Blue Rose Stays

For the Victorian Festival I needed a pair of stays for the event. I do have a historic pair of stays in the works but I knew I wouldn’t have time to finish them. So I went with a set of theatrical stays. I used fabric from my stash. It is a white cotton with blue print roses. It is made with plastic boning and a paint stick for support. I actually really like these stays. They are super comfortable and still gave me the proper shape. I wore them for hours at a time and never was uncomfortable. They are made from the Laughing Moon Pattern #115.

Read Full Post »

So last month I was doing quite a bit of stress sewing. First there was the Victorian Festival I needed to make clothes for and then an Elizabethan reenactment just a few weeks after. I made lots of new things for the Elizabethan event. I made a green kirtle out of linen. It is a back lacing gown and I corded the bodice for support. The sleeves are detachable. In the first picture you can see it with a white partlet that I made as well.

bible reading

To go with my outfit I made a pink linen jacket. I love this jacket. It is super comfortable to wear. I think it would be even more comfortable if you just wore it with a skirt and not a full kirtle. The next outfit I made for the event was a whole set of clothes for my boyfriend. I made him new Venetian breeches in blue hemp canvas. That stuff seems indestructible. Then I made a blue linen doublet with tie on sleeves. This is his first doublet in years of reenacting. I have more in the work basket.


Read Full Post »

Lavender 1840s Gown


 This dress is an 1840s round dress made from Laughing Moons pattern. I like this pattern a lot. It fits well and I’ve made up the pattern twice. It is made with a lavender and cream print cotton. There is lace around the sleeve edges and around the neck. I hope to make a collar eventually. The buttons are shelf covered and I cut them so there was a flower in the center of each. The top picture is me wearing the dress with a great shawl I got as a present. The second picture is at the evening dance, so the lighting is not that great but shows the entire dress.


Read Full Post »

New Undies!

So with my move all my costumes are in storage. I didn’t think this was going to be a problem. However, after I moved I found out I had a whole range of events coming up. So since it isn’t feasible to get to my storage unit at the moment new costumes were in order. The first is a Victorian ensemble. As I normally do I started from the inside out. I made a new chemise, drawers, and petticoat. First is the chemise and drawers made from Simplicity 2890. I added crochet trim on both of them. It is hard to tell in my bad pictures but there is a small picot trim around the neckline.

ChemiseOn the drawers I added a fan crochet trim on the bottom. The waist yoke has a point in the front, which is something I haven’t had before. However I think it will work well with the dress I’m making as it has a pointed front.

DrawersLastly is the petticoat. I feel one can never have enough of these things. This one has three bands of lace around the bottom. It was a great stash buster project as I’ve had that lace for several years. It looks flat in the picture but I plan to starch it before wearing to help give it body.

Lace Petticoat

Read Full Post »

New Garters


These garters were a Valentine’s day gift. My guy is getting new Elizabethan gear and his old garters will not match his new outfit. So I decided he needed some new ones. The garters are tablet woven with 4 hole cards. They are made with a #3 perle cotton. I added fringe on the ends in the dark blue color. I was worried that the cotton would make them hard to tie as it’s more slippery than wool but he tried them on and they seem to work just fine.


Read Full Post »

Older Posts »